You are here
The Aspen Global Change Institute (AGCI) is a non-profit research organization with a mission to advance global change science and solutions in service of society. AGCI’s mission encompasses a broad landscape of work to improve society’s understanding of and response to global change. This includes work on topics such as climate change, energy technology and policy, natural resource management, and science policy. Program areas include a landmark series of interdisciplinary science workshops, collaborative and community-based research, and technical assistance to decision-makers at all scales from local to international. Running through the Institute’s DNA is a strong institutional commitment to excellence in science that is actionable and inclusive.
AGCI was founded in 1989 and is a Colorado-based 501(c)(3) organization that supports staff and partners implementing a mission that is international in scope yet grounded in local contexts and problem domains. AGCI staff and consultants are based in Colorado, Michigan, Washington, New Hampshire, California, North Carolina, and the District of Columbia.
AGCI offers flexible scheduling arrangements, including partial FTEs and alternative work schedules to suit employee need.
Meaningful global change research and collaboration is dependent on effective communication of science and solutions between diverse audiences. AGCI is seeking a self-motivated and proven professional to support and enhance the Institute’s communications capacity.
The ideal candidate would have the passion, experience, and skillset to contribute to AGCI’s many communication needs ranging from science communication (such as sharing findings from workshops and research projects) to strategic communication (such as building brand awareness and elevating the profile of global change science and solutions).
• Develop, coordinate, and execute communications strategies for projects and programs
• Collaborate with staff and vendors to overhaul AGCI’s website and other communications platforms to enhance AGCI’s communications capabilities
• Create content and graphics to engage and educate audiences across various channels, including through AGCI’s website, newsletters, blogs, and various social media platforms
• Monitor science news cycles and public discourse related to global environmental change
• Research the science of communication and be adaptive to an ever-changing communications and media landscape
• Grow audience reach and proactively manage audience engagement
• Ensure AGCI is adequately resourced with platforms and processes for management of organizational communications
• Work in close coordination with program staff on event marketing and/or fundraising materials
• Review and contribute to grant proposal writing, reporting, and communication with funders as appropriate
• Other projects as assigned or pursued
The successful application will have these preferred qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in communications or related field. Advanced degree is a plus. Joint degrees or significant coursework in scientific disciplines related to global change also a plus
• Scientific literacy and a high level of curiosity about scientific research in a wide range of fields and topical areas
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive
• Proven experience managing social media channels (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) and email marketing platforms (e.g., MailChimp)
• At least 5 years of communications work experience (non-profit, academic, or private sector work in areas related to global change/environmental science and/or education is a plus)
• Must be able to work and collaborate in virtually-connected office environment
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Good time management and organization skills
• Ability to multi-task and manage a challenging workload
• Demonstrated professional and/or academic interest in education, global change science, environmental studies, communications studies, or related field
• Experience with web design, web development, contact management, graphic design, or visual art
• Ability to thrive in a small, supportive office that values curiosity, attention to detail, flexibility, growth, humor, communication, self-motivation, as well as diversity, equity, and inclusion
These are preferred qualifications – individuals are encouraged to apply even if they don’t meet 100% of them.
Work Schedule & Compensation
Start date is summer 2020. AGCI will consider a flexible work schedule. AGCI is flexible in terms of location.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous PTO, healthcare, IRA contributions, flexible scheduling, wellness benefits, professional development, and career growth opportunities.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
References and additional materials may be requested at a later point. We are reviewing applications until the position is filled. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering applying to this position after May 10 to inquire if the position has already been filled.
The Aspen Global Change Institute is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all applicants and to ensuring a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on our business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, family or parental status, disability, age, national origin, or any other protected status.
We sincerely welcome and encourage individuals of all identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply.
AGCI has become an intellectual proving ground, a ferment for new ideas and concepts, and a place where the different disciplines actually talk, and progress. Hal Harvey
What We Do
AGCI has been the most prominent place for developing interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary dialogues between scientists and practitioners.Guy Brasseur
We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims. R. Buckminster Fuller